Thursday, 31 January 2013

A new challenge

 I have been offline for quite a few days since the wild storms that hit the Mid North Coast on the weekend.  Our telephone and internet services were out of order and a call for help was placed to the telephone company.  We were on the list for repairs and then this morning we discovered it had fixed itself!  The technician still came out and confirmed that all was up and running again.  I was amazed at how many times I went to use the internet during the time it was down, I have become so used to having the world at my fingertips.  The teens were getting very twitchy and were delighted to find out we were back online this morning (and so was I!).

I have decided to join a new challenge hosted by Robyn of  Daisy Quilts . I so enjoyed Robyn's 366 photos challenge last year and this year one of my goals was to be more creative.
I was a bit daunted at making one block a day (or around 30 a month), but I have decided that this will be an excellent way to push me on those days when I make a thousand excuses not to do anything creative :)
I still haven't quite decided what block to make, but I do have some ideas forming.
Stay tuned....

Monday, 28 January 2013

Almost done

Machine quilting on the last day of my break.

I popped it on the spare bed for a photo and all it needs now is a label and it will be on it's way to my customer :)

Monday, 7 January 2013

Summer holidays and sewing

It's Summer time here in Oz and most of my bookkeeping clients have been closed for the Christmas break so I have been indulging in some sewing.  

This mess is the start of a denim quilt for my Stepson who is about to leave home and start University.  I was inspired by this quilt on the Piece N Quilt blog .I ripped up the denim into lengths and by the time I had finished, my sewing room and I were covered in a fine layer of denim "dust".

Some days later I finished the quilt top.  It's just draped over a bed to test the size.

I plan on backing it very simply with flannelette sheeting as it is a very heavy quilt already.  I may even use a flannelette sheet, although I doubt there will be any in the shops at this time of the year.

In the meantime, I have received my first commission to make a quilt similar to the baby quilt I made in December. It will be a single bed size for a teenage girl.  The pattern is by Elizabeth Hartman at Oh, Fransson!. 

Here is the fabric



Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Day 366/366

The final day of our challenge has arrived. Participating in this challenge has been such an enjoyable experience.  I have learned so many new things, I have become far more observant of my surroundings, I have broken 2 cameras (!), I have met some wonderful people online and also surprised a few of my family and friends at my commitment to the project.  I am very grateful to Robyn of Fine Arts Journal for hosting this challenge. Thank you so much.   Thank you also to Robyn and the other challenge participants for your kind comments and words of encouragement.  I have loved seeing your photographs and getting to know you a little through your blogs.
So here are my final photographs....yes I have taken a bit of a liberty here publishing a few.   My daily walks have been a source of many of my photographs throughout the year and here are a few things that I saw on my last walk for the year.


Day 365/366

A chook on the barbie (translation from Oz to English - a chicken on the barbeque ;)  My husband is from New Zealand but has now lived in Australia longer than his home country.  I think he is truly an Aussie as he has finally mastered the art of the bbq.

Day 364/366

There were lots of Dragonflies in the garden today

Day 363/366

I have finished the baby quilt and now have an order to make another one :)